WHITEWATER R.C.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHITEWATER R.C.

Whitewater WI radio control club

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who use what as building boards?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I used drywall in the past and I am wondering if one of the (Great Planes)building boards out there is any better? I am going to build a Top Flite Cessna 182 this winter.
Thanks
kevin
bounce

2Who use what as building boards?  Empty Building Board 11/30/2011, 9:46 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

coyotekev wrote: I used drywall in the past and I am wondering if one of the (Great Planes)building boards out there is any better? I am going to build a Top Flite Cessna 182 this winter.
Thanks
kevin
bounce

Hi Kevin:

I personally do not use a building board as such. I use my entire building table as my "building board". I have known a number of people over the years that use a piece of polyeurathane rigid sheet insulation, 4' X 8' X 1.5". Easy to pin to and very rigid. I use the medium size "T" pins which I just pound into the plywood. A quick surface sanding between builds and I am ready for the next one.

My work surface is a piecë of .750" thick A-C plywood which is 32" X 96", I have long arms and this size lets me reach all the way across. I screw it down on a frame made of construction grade kiln dried 2 X 4's. I build this frame right to the wall using a cantilever design. This does several things, makes a very rigid platform that is not prone to expansion and contraction with climatic changes, and the cantilever design keeps the floor area clear for cleaning.

A few pics attached. Provides a very relaxing cave, and when supplied with copious amounts of coffee I am at peace.

Nobody really needs all this crap but I love tools and being a retired engineer I can't resist.

Post your Cessna build, would love to follow along.

Tom

Who use what as building boards?  P1010023
Cantilever really works well, strong and keeps the floor clear.

Who use what as building boards?  P1010024
I have a assembly table 24" X 84" that I can work from all sides.

Who use what as building boards?  P1010025
A cradle is really handy.

Who use what as building boards?  P1010026
Tools of the trade, also on a cantilever work surface.

Who use what as building boards?  P1010027
My paint spray booth.

bigdaddy

I use a solid hard wood door as a stationary table and attatch 2x4 ceiling tiles with spray trim adhesive. I replace them with new builds just a little scraping and sanding of the door and it's ready for the new panels. So far every thing appears to stay strait other than my stupid mistakes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum