WHITEWATER R.C.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHITEWATER R.C.

Whitewater WI radio control club

You are not connected. Please login or register

Taylorcraft Build

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Taylorcraft Build Empty Taylorcraft Build 4/3/2013, 9:25 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hi Guys:

Well not many postings going on so I guess I will put up the little Taylorcraft I have been working on.

It is a GP kit. I am using a Magnum .30 4-stroke in it. Not a kit I would call "excellent" but not too bad. The die cutting was bad because of the kit design. Cutting dies were dull and made for MANY cracked parts. The ABS cowl (3-piece) when glued together did not fit at the firewall. I ordered one from Fiberglass Specialties, can't beat their quality and execution.

Using HiTec HS82-MG mini servos, they are over 50 oz's on 6.0 volt. I don't fly anything digital on 4.8 volt, too much chance to brownout the receiver.

Should be a nice little package.

Need to get it done, want to start on my new Hog Bipe, Magnum 80 4-stroke.

Tom

Taylorcraft Build Taylor10

Taylorcraft Build Taylor11

Taylorcraft Build Taylor12

Taylorcraft Build Taylor13

Taylorcraft Build Taylor14

Taylorcraft Build Taylor16

2Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/3/2013, 12:16 pm

rprager

rprager

Cool Tom. Looks like you've been busy. Looking good. Smile Smile

3Taylorcraft Build Empty glueing fingers togetther 4/3/2013, 1:47 pm

bigdaddy

Hey Tom, nice to know someone else is still gluing there fingers together building Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

4Taylorcraft Build Empty Balsa Butcher At Heart 4/3/2013, 2:06 pm

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the comments. Jeff I am truly a balsa butcher at heart. I love to see the sticks and sheet come together. Chewing and sanding all the glue off kept kids busy, never needed pills to calm us down.In a by gone era the Testors yellow tube and the DuCo green and white would build up so thick I could chew for hours.

Jeff I know you are a outstanding builder, any projects ? We know what Rob is working on.

Tom

5Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/3/2013, 3:42 pm

rwcd

rwcd

Looking good Tom. I have a Hog Bipe with an OS Gemini twin 120. The original. I covered it to resemble a PT17.

6Taylorcraft Build Empty Love Those Hogs ! 4/3/2013, 4:01 pm

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

rwcd wrote:Looking good Tom. I have a Hog Bipe with an OS Gemini twin 120. The original. I covered it to resemble a PT17.

Yeah I love the Hog's (Astro and Bipe). My last Hog Bipe I had a Saito 100 in it and it flew like his ass was on fire, even throttled back (big prop). I bet your 120 twin makes for a handful with a sink rate like a F-4 Phantom. I had a Astro with a old Saito 80 and it flew like a dream. My oldest Hog Bipe I flew with a Magnum 70 and really liked it. I like to fly on the wing, I leave the flying on the prop to you younger fellas. I think my new one with the Magnum 80 will be just right, the 70 was a little challeged but I still enjoyed it.

Tom

7Taylorcraft Build Empty an't stop smelling the glue 4/3/2013, 8:02 pm

bigdaddy

Yea Tom , I built a 46 size profile that hopefully will take the abuse this summer. Also a Balsa USA Citabra pro with a YS 140 and now have started laying out some wood for the Stearman I gave up on selling the kit. I also am pulling down the Scatch built Dave Platt spitfire that dad built years ago to see if it has any chance of being air worthy.I hope to see you at the field soon and see if my hands have gotten any worse form last year trying to fly Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

8Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/3/2013, 10:14 pm

rwcd

rwcd

teeceeveecee wrote:
rwcd wrote:Looking good Tom. I have a Hog Bipe with an OS Gemini twin 120. The original. I covered it to resemble a PT17.

Yeah I love the Hog's (Astro and Bipe). My last Hog Bipe I had a Saito 100 in it and it flew like his ass was on fire, even throttled back (big prop). I bet your 120 twin makes for a handful with a sink rate like a F-4 Phantom. I had a Astro with a old Saito 80 and it flew like a dream. My oldest Hog Bipe I flew with a Magnum 70 and really liked it. I like to fly on the wing, I leave the flying on the prop to you younger fellas. I think my new one with the Magnum 80 will be just right, the 70 was a little challeged but I still enjoyed it.

Tom
It really flies quite well Tom. That engine isn't that heavy and your 100 has way more power. A Fox .60 had more power than the twin.

9Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/9/2013, 10:30 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

bigdaddy wrote:Yea Tom , I built a 46 size profile that hopefully will take the abuse this summer. Also a Balsa USA Citabra pro with a YS 140 and now have started laying out some wood for the Stearman I gave up on selling the kit. I also am pulling down the Scatch built Dave Platt spitfire that dad built years ago to see if it has any chance of being air worthy.I hope to see you at the field soon and see if my hands have gotten any worse form last year trying to fly Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hi Jeff:

Sounds like some great projects. Which 46 profile did you build ? I use to have one of those P-51 ARF profile slow fliers, was a lot of fun and stout as a brick.

Those BUSA Cit's always intrigued me, never have seen one fly but that parasol wing just looks like it wants to hang out with the clouds. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Best,

Tom

Last edited by teeceeveecee on 4/15/2013, 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total

10Taylorcraft Build Empty building planes 4/9/2013, 12:30 pm

bigdaddy

Hey Tom, It's called a Primo designed by the Swanny House designers of the Mojo It has a carbon fiber tube down the entire fuse to hopefully keep it from breaking on poor 3d flying Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

11Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/10/2013, 3:26 pm

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

bigdaddy wrote:Hey Tom, It's called a Primo designed by the Swanny House designers of the Mojo It has a carbon fiber tube down the entire fuse to hopefully keep it from breaking on poor 3d flying Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hi Jeff:

I looked up your Primo by Swanny, looks great.

Only question is, do you think it will have enough rudder ? It is so small it probably would not pull more than a 20-G snap. affraid affraid affraid

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Tom

12Taylorcraft Build Empty Rudder action 4/10/2013, 7:21 pm

bigdaddy

Yep! can't wait to see if it flys

13Taylorcraft Build Empty Taylorcraft Finished 4/14/2013, 1:18 pm

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hi Guys:

Well still noting going on here so I will bore you with some more pics of my little Taylorcraft.

Pretty much finished except a little trim and paint the cowl. Came in at 3.9 lbs. CG fell dead on by shifting the battery around.

Does anyone know if our gate lock situation is cleared up yet ? If weather clears up as the long range forecast says we should get some fair conditions. Hate to drive all the way over there and find I can't get in again.

Tom

Taylorcraft Build P1010022

Taylorcraft Build P1010023

Taylorcraft Build P1010024

Taylorcraft Build P1010025

Taylorcraft Build P1010026

14Taylorcraft Build Empty Looking good 4/15/2013, 6:23 am

bigdaddy

Tom,
The plane looks really nice, I talked with Dave briefly yesterday but that wasn't brought up. I will try to give Dave a call today and get back to you.

15Taylorcraft Build Empty Thanks Jeff 4/15/2013, 6:42 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

bigdaddy wrote:Tom,
The plane looks really nice, I talked with Dave briefly yesterday but that wasn't brought up. I will try to give Dave a call today and get back to you.

Thanks Jeff, looking forward to some decent weather and when it breaks I want to get outside !

Tom

16Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/15/2013, 7:15 pm

rprager

rprager

Plane looks GREAT Tom Cool Cool Looks like you'll have another great plane out there. Smile

17Taylorcraft Build Empty Re: Taylorcraft Build 4/15/2013, 8:14 pm

rwcd

rwcd

Might not be able to fly it, but he'll have a great looking plane. affraid

18Taylorcraft Build Empty Soon 4/16/2013, 5:29 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the comments, she will be ready and the gate lock situation is being worked on so all will be right with the world.

Time to go earthworm hunting, those little 30 4-strokes will dig out a lot of them.

Tom

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum