WHITEWATER R.C.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHITEWATER R.C.

Whitewater WI radio control club

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hi Guys:

Just a couple of pics so you know I am still working on Robinhood. Got the wing sprayed and had to see how it is going to look on the fuselage. I am real pleased with the look, the colors are much richer in natural light. I have all the cabin window frames cut out (.062 Birch Plywood) and the underside mortised out for the clear plastic (.031 acetate). I am trying several finish treatments for the frames, natural aluminum, white, and Midnight Blue as on the fuselage. Just have to see which looks best to me.

Tom

Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 P1010030
I think I will give the wings one more coat.

Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 P1010031
The airframe registration numbers on the right wing top and left wing underside will really make the wings pop. That spot is in the pic.

dcs155

dcs155

Wow does that look great Tom!!!! Nice job Very Happy Cant wait to see her out at the field and up in the air sunny If she flys as good as she looks you got a winner there Very Happy Very Happy

3Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Looks FANTASTIC!!!!!! 12/20/2011, 9:16 pm

LOOKS GREAT!!!!!! Very Happy

4Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Fun Project 12/21/2011, 5:44 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hi Dave & Kevin:

This kit is real "old school" and has really been a fun project. Dave as you know I love to build, and this kit being from the early eighties was pretty much top of the line for the period, unless you went to the "Proctors" of the day.

I think I am going to take the plans over to Kinkos and make a couple of copies, a 100%, a 75%, a 60% and a 50%. The originals are so pristine I don't want to destroy them building new airframes. I build a lot of 1/2-A stuff and the 50% would be a 40" wing. I have a Thunder Tiger .090 which should be a great combination. I am sure I will never build all the sizes but having the plans will be great anyway just in case.......

Kevin, saw you add for the Cessna, sorry you aren't going to be able to build it. Hope your problem is nothing too serious. I am constantly reminded of the fact that I am 76 and never know how much sand is left in the old hour glass. Dave if the sand runs out I sure would appreciate it if you would help Virginia dispose of all my crap. Take a couple of engines or whatever for your time.

Tom

Roger Beltmann

Hi Tom. I hope I'm in as good a shape as you are when I'm 76. I can get you a good deal on a Hoveround.

dcs155

dcs155

Hey Tom, I'm hopin we all got quite a bit more time left in our hour glasses Very Happy Very Happy. Rest assured that if and when that time came i would certainly be of assistance in any way required.
I have been thinkin about your offer of cutting me an autogyro kit, can i take you up on that??? I have to make a hobby shop run soon so I can pick up any materials you might need.
Even been practicing on the phoenix sim as well!!!
I'm always looking for cool new aviation challenges and this will be one I have always wanted to pursue but havn't. Better late than never and seeing yours at the meeting really pushed me over the autogyro edge Very Happy Very Happy

7Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Darn and I missed it 12/21/2011, 8:09 am

Boy I missed the Gyro. Darn Crying or Very sad

dcs155

dcs155

Hey Kev, Tom's Gyro was awesome!!!! Tom is truly a master builder and all his projects look fantastic!!

9Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Auto Gyro Kit 12/21/2011, 8:31 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hey Dave I will be happy to cut you a kit. I am sure I have all the materials I will need. I will get it cut and bring it to the next meeting. Kev I will bring the AG to the next meeting, it is so compact it is not a problem to haul. If you make the meeting, fine if not no problem.

Roger can you get the Hoveround with off road tires ? It would be handy for chasing my airplanes when off airfield landings occur.

Tom

10Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Great!! 12/21/2011, 9:17 am

Great thanksb I will do my best to be there! Smile

11Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty AG Kit 12/21/2011, 9:26 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Hey Kev, do want me to cut you a kit also ? No charge, materials are minimal, little bit of .125" balsa and some .250" 5-ply. Just as easy to cut two kits as one. I will make a copy of the instructions also, drawings are 1/2 size.

Let me know.

Tom

12Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Gyro 12/21/2011, 9:47 am

Up to you, sure. I will be glad to pay for the material, no problem. I am hoping That I can still fly after some of this stuff settles down. But would love to have it just in case I can do it at some point. Always wanted to try one. THANKS!!!!! Very Happy

13Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty You Betcha ! 12/21/2011, 1:57 pm

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

coyotekev wrote:Up to you, sure. I will be glad to pay for the material, no problem. I am hoping That I can still fly after some of this stuff settles down. But would love to have it just in case I can do it at some point. Always wanted to try one. THANKS!!!!! Very Happy

You betcha, I'll cut a kit for you along with Daves.

Tom

14Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty cool thanks 12/21/2011, 3:24 pm

Very Happy Thanks

dcs155

dcs155

Thanks a million Tom!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Quik question about engine choice, i'm gonna pick up a 4 stroke for it, what would you suggest??? I already have my color scheme picked out, you are gonna like it!!

16Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Empty Engine Choice 12/22/2011, 5:24 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

dcs155 wrote:Thanks a million Tom!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Quik question about engine choice, i'm gonna pick up a 4 stroke for it, what would you suggest??? I already have my color scheme picked out, you are gonna like it!!

Hi Dave:

The airframe was designed around a .25 2-stroke. I put a OS .40 4-stroke in mine and believe it is the perfect size. AG's are setup "nose heavy". The CG is done by hanging the completed airframe from the rotor head. With everything installed EXCEPT rotor blades, it should hang DOWN at 14-16 degrees. So really you have a good bit of latitude in engine choice.

With the .40 I achieved CG with no extra weight, just component placement. The .40 is more than sufficient power and as I said I think it is perfect for this gyro. You could probably even use a .52 since the weight difference is minimal.

Tom

dcs155

dcs155

Thanks Tom!! I was looking thru my engine inventory and the only small 4 strokes i have are a magnum 72 and saito 82, both to big for the AG project. I have always been happy with saito so I think I'm gonna order a .40 golden night, always liked that black and gold look Very Happy.
Did more sim flying last night, I'm getting the hang of it Very Happy
Thanks, Dave

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

dcs155 wrote:Thanks Tom!! I was looking thru my engine inventory and the only small 4 strokes i have are a magnum 72 and saito 82, both to big for the AG project. I have always been happy with saito so I think I'm gonna order a .40 golden night, always liked that black and gold look Very Happy.
Did more sim flying last night, I'm getting the hang of it Very Happy
Thanks, Dave
~

Hi dave:

The .40 GK will be a great match for this airframe. My Saito .90 R-3 is GK finish and I love it.

I am going to start on my Bruce Tharpe "Flyin King" as soon as I finish the Robinhood. I flew both of my previous Flyin King's with Saito 1.00's and they were great, guess where my .90 R-3 is going to nest.

Tom

Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Pics0110
This is the second FK, w/flaps. Lost at the Janesville field, didn't know channel 49 was a problem at that field.

Robinhood-80 Progress Report 12/17/2011 Pics0111
This is the first one, wo/flaps sold it to a guy in my club in Prineville, OR.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum