WHITEWATER R.C.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
WHITEWATER R.C.

Whitewater WI radio control club

You are not connected. Please login or register

TIME FOR SOMETHING WITH WINGS ON IT!!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sblock

sblock

This thing must be filled with HELIUM
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
https://youtu.be/BS3k33Rw7X4

rwcd

rwcd

My cars all have wings

3TIME FOR SOMETHING WITH WINGS ON IT!! Empty WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3/16/2014, 6:31 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

sblock wrote:This thing must be filled with HELIUM
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
https://youtu.be/BS3k33Rw7X4
That thing is fantastic His elevator maneuvers almost have CORNERS on them  cyclops  cyclops  cyclops  

By the way, I ran Clay Smith with the adjustable tappet set in a '53 Ford 8BA flathead with Navarro 9.5/1 heads, a Thicston  Hi-Rise manifold with twin Stromberg 97's and Forge-True pistons in a '36 Ford Murray Coupe. At 18 I was King Of The World ( or at least Hialeah,FL). Lots of GO not too much WHOA, the Murray still had the mechanical brakes.

Tom

dcs155

dcs155

How can that thing fly that slow???????? Very cool Very Happy Very Happy 
You have any pics of that beast Tom?

rwcd

rwcd

I'd like to see them too.

6TIME FOR SOMETHING WITH WINGS ON IT!! Empty No Pics 3/17/2014, 6:08 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Sorry guys, no pics. All of my pic albums and memorabilia along with half our furniture was lost when we moved from Grafton, WI to Bend, OR about 23 years ago. Mayflower settled with us but they never paid for our lost memories.

I loved that little '36, did eventually put hydraulic brakes on it just before I went in the Navy. My Mom sold it for next to nothing, it was just a "old car" to her. Never really got over it.

Tom

dcs155

dcs155

Sorry to hear that Tom.

sblock

sblock

I love the oldies. I wish I could see that car you had. What did you do for a job When you were 18 $$. You had the envy of the day you lucky
DOG !!!
Lifes memories are great. Thanks for sharing.

sblock

sblock

Hey Tom! Is this kind of what you had for a ride. This is real cool behind the Wheel.
https://youtu.be/g-h9lE26nPc

rwcd

rwcd

Need one in my garage.

11TIME FOR SOMETHING WITH WINGS ON IT!! Empty Thank You Steve !! 3/18/2014, 6:56 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

sblock wrote:Hey Tom! Is this kind of what you had for a ride. This is real cool behind the Wheel.
https://youtu.be/g-h9lE26nPc

Hey Steve- thank you so much !

This '36 brought back some real memories, it even had Navarro heads. My intake was a Thicston though. It was cast with a 3.5" rise above stock which gave some of the early "ram induction" benefits. With that much rise I had to use special Heller air filters. The Stromberg 97's had the variable stroke adjustment on the accelerator pump which with the hotter cams you needed to keep the engine from "stumbling" on acceleration. The 8BA was only 239 cubic inches but for it's day did the work. This guys '36 is beautiful, mine was black and a body would make Rachel Welch drool, not a dent or scratch. My interior was factory stock but perfect. I had the big old 4" SUN tach on the column. Notice in the video you can see the roll down rear window, loved it.  I had headers and 4" Smithy mufflers- man do I miss that car ! The hood side pans were always off to show the engine. All the guys that had a '35,'36, 37' or '38 had them off. I even remember a guy that had a '37 with the little "Ford-60" in it had them off. Those little 60's were so small it almost looked like he didn't have a engine.

You are right about the $$$$ Steve, that was one of the reasons I chose the Clay Smith, I didn't want to have some cam with soft lobes that would wear down. CS used the flame hardening process, never heard of one failing from worn lobes.

I went to a Trade High School Steve, Lindsay Hopkins Vocational High in Miami, FL . It was half day academic and half day trade. I was studying Diesel Mechanics. As part of our training in our senior year we worked in the field. I was extremely lucky and was sent to a little company named "Poston Crane Service" in south Miami. The owner had six "Bantam" 1-yd cranes. All of these cranes had little 4-cylinder BUDA diesel engines. I did a overhaul on one engine for him. He offered me a job after that and he trained me to operate a crane. Everything commercial in south Florida was steel and concrete so he had plenty of work. The little Bantam cranes were mounted on surplus army halftracks made by White. They were excellent for the purpose and a dime a dozen after the war.

Anyhow the long dissertation  explains how I could afford my love affair with cars. I guess if I hadn't been high in the Army draft number sequence I would have stayed in that kind of work. With the Korean war going on I felt like I would rather be a swabby in the Navy than  a cannon cocker in the Army so I enlisted when I was 19.

Thanks again for the video, I will be 79 next month but I can still remember those days like it just happened, I won't say like "it was yesterday", can't remember shit from yesterday. The cars, the girls, the girls, the girls, wow. Met my wife Virginia one Sunday when I was 17 and that was it, we will celebrate our 60th anniversary this September 30th.  

By the way, I downloaded that video to my computer. 

Tom

Last edited by teeceeveecee on 3/18/2014, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

dcs155

dcs155

Awesome Tom!

rwcd

rwcd

You fells sure know a lot about cars.

sblock

sblock

Tom
I am glad that a Guy like you had those skills with working with your hands and also the mental skills to
Make a very rewarding life for yourself. Glad that the Video Brought back a really great memory for you.
The skills that you have earned Are really becoming a lot art.
And CORPORATE AMERICA BETTER WAKE UP. And realize that knowledge and skills like these are need to be resurrected and rewarded $$ for the future of the USA.  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

15TIME FOR SOMETHING WITH WINGS ON IT!! Empty Thank You Steve 3/23/2014, 11:28 am

teeceeveecee

teeceeveecee

Thank you Steve, I appreciate everything you said, and I especially appreciate your comments regarding the dwindling number of Americans that are interested in achieving any skill that requires a person to work with their hands. I was always happiest working with my hands, although I have degree in industrial engineering and post education in computer science, I never enjoyed the work as one would expect. I was chasing $$$$$.

To talk with you and most of the guys in the club that "create" is a real joy. Build a cabinet, turn a piece of 4130 or 6061 into a precision piece and then MIG, TIG or heliarc it into a finished product is what built this country. Ken D. and I exchange political and patriotic e-mails frequently. Ken sent one a few months back of a patriotic vein and it really hit a cord with me, I thanked Ken and he replied "I knew you would like it, your the most patriotic man I know". I take great pride in our country. I lived through wars and served in one and when I see what is happening today, well .................

Thanks again Steve and I thank God for you fellas that make this country work.

Tom

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum